Historic Greene & Greene Home Restoration
The complex renovation included relocating the original garage to another Claremont property and replacing it with a new three-car garage and studio that cleanly matches the main home and creates a more private garden area. On the main structure, many worn or rotten interior and exterior components needed to be repaired or replaced. Poorly executed remodels over the years had compromised its structural integrity, requiring reinforcement of some walls and the roof. Inside, the kitchen, breakfast room, laundry, bath, living and dining rooms, office, and upstairs bedrooms were reorganized and renovated to create an authentically historic home that better accommodates the needs of contemporary life.
The Darling Residence was designed by world-renowned architects Charles and Henry Green for Mary Reeve Darling in 1903. It was their first commission outside Pasadena and a significant turning point in the evolution of the Green & Green design aesthetic that would lead to the incomparable Gamble and Blacker houses.